Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Tagged for Two Tags

Thank you Olivia and Art3mis for tagging me!! :D I'm going to start with The "100 Books the BBC Think Most People Haven't Read More than 6 of" tag. It's fun to prove people(or the BBC) wrong, so here we go...



Rules...

1. Be honest.
2. Put an asterisk next to the ones you have read all the way through. Put an addition sign next to the ones you have started.

3. Tag as many people as these books that you have read.

1.  Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen *
2.  Gormenghast Trilogy -  Mervyn Peake
3.  Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë *
4.  Temple of the Golden Pavilion - Yukio Mishima
5.  To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee *
6.  The Story of the Eye - George Bataille
7.  Wuthering Heights - Emily Brontë 
8.  Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell 
9.  Adrift on the Nile - Naguib Mahfouz
10.  Great Expectations - Charles Dickens *
11.  Little Women - Louisa May Alcott *
12.  Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
13.  Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
14.  Rhinoceros - Eugene Ionesco
15.  Baron in the Trees - Italo Calvino
16.  The Master of Go - Yasunari Kawabata
17.  Woman in the Dunes - Abe Kobo
18.  Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger 
19.  The Feast of the Goat - Mario Vargas Llosa
20.  Middlemarch - George Eliot 
21.  Gogol's Wife - Tomasso Landolfi
22.  The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald *
23.  Magic Mountain - Thomas Mann
24.  War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy *
25.  Ferdydurke - Gombrowicz
26.  Narcissus and Goldmund - Herman Hesse
27.  Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky 
28.  The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
29.  Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll *
30.  The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame 
31.  Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy 
32.  The Jungle - Upton Sinclair
33.  Tom Sawyer / Huck Finn - Mark Twain *
34.  Emma - Jane Austen
35.  Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe *
36.  Delta Wedding - Eudora Welty
37.  The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini 
38.  Naomi - Junichiro Tanizaki
39.  Cosmicomics - Italo Calvino
40.  The Joke - Milan Kundera
41.  Animal Farm - George Orwell *
42.  Labyrinths - Gorge Luis Borges
43.  One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
44.  A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving 
45.  Under My Skin - Doris Lessing\
46.  Anne of Green Gables - L. M. Montgomery *
47.  Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy 
48.  Don Quixote - Miguel Cervantes 
49.  Lord of the Flies - William Golding
50.  Absalom Absalom - William Faulkner



51.  Beloved - Toni Morrison
52.  The Flounder - Gunther Grass
53.  Dead Souls - Nikolai Gogol
54.  Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen *
55.  My Name is Red - Orhan Pamuk
56.  A Dolls House - Henrik Ibsen
57.  A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens *
58.  Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
59.  The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoevesky 
60.  Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
61.  Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
62.  Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
63.  Leaves of Grass - Walt Whitman
64.  Death on the Installment Plan - Celine
65.  Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
66.  On The Road - Jack Kerouac
67.  Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
68.  Pedro Paramo - Juan Rulfo
69.  Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie
70.  Moby Dick - Herman Melville *
71.  Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
72.  Dracula - Bram Stoker
73.  The Metamorphosis - Kafka
74.  Epitaph of a Small Winner - Machado De Assis
75.  Ulysses - James Joyce
76.  The Inferno - Dante 
77.  Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
78.  Germinal - Emile Zola
79.  To the Light House - Virginia Woolf 
80.  Disgrace - John Maxwell Coetzee
81.  A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens *
82.  Zorba the Greek - Nikos Kazantzakis
83.  The Color Purple - Alice Walker
84.  The Box Man - Abe Kobo
85.  Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
86.  A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
87.  The Stranger - Camus
88.  Acquainted with the Night - Heinrich Boll
89.  Don't Call It Night - Amos Oz
90.  The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
91.  Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
92.  The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery *
93.  Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pychon
94.  Memoirs of Hadrian - Marguerite Yourcenar
95.  A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
96.  Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
97.  The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
98.  Hamlet - William Shakespeare 
99.  Faust - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 
100.  Metamorphosis - Ovid

And thus a grand total of...17. :P I'd like to read more of them someday!

I'm actually not going to tag anyone for this, but please take it if you'd like! Thank you, MovieCritic, for creating the tag! 

Next, the Four Fictional Characters Tag!

Rules

1. Link back to the person who tagged you
2. List four fictional characters (use pictures if you want! They can be from movies or books) and, if you like, describe what they're like and why you believe they relate to you
3. Tag a few other blog people! Three, or four, or even twenty. :) Share the fun! Be sure to let them know you've tagged them.

Anne Shirley(Anne of Green Gables)




Of course. I cannot have a list of characters to whom I identify without Anne. She's basically my fictional counterpart, but kinder and wiser and harder working. :P We are both a little weird and both crave deep friendships.

Rose MacClare(Downton Abbey)

Ha. Wishful thinking. Rose MaClaire is cheerful, compassionate, and personable. She's pretty extroverted(which I'm not) and-- for just the first few episodes-- rash and rebellious(which I hope I'm not), but I identify with the way she often hides her feelings behind cheerfulness-- something I occasionally do. However, she questions cultural norms, values friendships, and gets excited for things other people wouldn't. She starts a bit *cough* rough around the edges, but it makes her character arc all the more satisfying.  I think of any fictional character I've ever encountered, she may be my biggest role model.

realizing I will never be as amazing as Lady Rose MacClare 
Bilbo Baggins(The Hobbit)

I actually wrote a blog post on the subject, so I'll cheat and just link that. (by the way I wrote this post over a year ago so don't judge ;D)

Alexander Hamilton(Hamilton)




Confession: everything I know about the first secretary of the United States I know because of Hamilton. That makes it hard to say how much I'm like the actual historical figure, but when it comes to the character in Lin Manuel Miranda's musical, we are the same. :D

He's constantly overwhelming and annoying the people around him with the subjects he's passionate about and that. is. me. xD Also he talks a lot and can be overambitious. Sadly I'm not as hard working and I can mostly safely say we have different moral weaknesses. Obviously I don't support everything he did. Otherwise, I think we're pretty alike.

I tag anyone who's seen any of the Spider-Man movies this summer. 

Thanks for reading! 

10 comments:

  1. Cool answers! Wow! You've read War and Peace? I am very impressed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I read it last summer and basically made it my part time job for a few weeks. xD It was good but I didn't really feel like the story justified 1,000+ pages, you know? Then again it's probably one of those books you have to read multiple times to fully appreciate.

      Delete
    2. P.S. Sorry that reply was so late!

      Delete
  2. I've done this tag. I've read 17 (I think that may be the least or close to of all the others who've participated :/ ). I didn't tag anyone; I feel like most people have been tagged anyway.

    Also, the cake or dessert tag is awesome, you should do that one too. I'm going to post my accumulated/modified version in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that's the least! 17 is still almost three times 6 so that's something. Plus there's a ton of good books that aren't listed here. Yeah that's kind of what I thought too.


      Well cake and dessert do sound awesome. ^.^ By the way, sorry I'm replying so tardily!

      Delete
  3. Oh, huzzah!

    Wow, good for you: you've read War & Peace, Moby-Dick, and Middlemarch. You're a braver girl than me. :-P

    And it was so neat to read which characters you chose! Wow, Lady Rose may be your biggest fictional role model? Dang, this bodes looking into . . . that is high praise, indeed. And Bilbooooo. <3 (And the other two, of course. :-P)

    Fun answers; thanks for doing them! Hope you're doing excellently. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I just wanted to mention: "I wrote this post over a year ago so don't judge." << HAHAHAHAHA SAME. I feel like adding something to my reviews page to say, "Yo, some of these are pretty awful. I've gotten better since then." XD

      Delete
    2. Ohhhh wait. I just realized I never read Middlemarch. I confused it with Silas Marner(also by George Eliot). So don't be impressed. ;)

      Thanks! It definitely bodes looking into. :D A lot of that is more because I watched DA a lot than because she is the best fictional role model I've ever encountered, but yes she's still pretty awesome(after the first few episodes). Bilbo. <3

      I am doing well! You?

      Haha that's exactly how I feel! I'm sure people are smart enough to figure that out own their own but sometimes I feel like I need to excuse my past poor writings. xD

      Delete
  4. Way to prove the BBC wrong! And awesome choices for the favorite characters tag. (Yet another reminder that I really need to watch Downton Abbey at some point.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks:D Well reminding people to watch DA is what I'm here for.

      Delete

Comments are my favorite, seriously. :D But please do remember to remain respectful and all that.